Saturday, April 12, 2014

Doing What Makes You Happy

Q.    I love to cook, I’ve got some great creations and I’m about ready to start my own food biz.  Do you believe in the adage, “do what you love and the money will follow?”

I’ll have to answer with the words, that depends, and a quote - “I am a writer, but I love sex more than I love writing,” author Penelope Trunk observed a few years ago.  I agree with Penelope about sex, writing and cooking!  There’s not much of a chance that I’d be able to make much of a living in any of those fields except for cooking.  Therefore, I stick with something that I’m skilled at and that I love. 

You’ll be happier starting off doing something that you love than starting off with something that is horrible and you’re only doing it for the money.  So, it depends on if you’re willing to do something you love and work at making sure that whatever it is that you do does not become a drudgery.  Also, you’ll have to check your ego at the door. So, when you first start out with whatever food product (sauces, salsas, dressings or condiments) you’re going to produce, be prepared to have people try it and then call your baby ugly.  If you can take that, then you’ll be great. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not good with criticism, especially when someone calls my baby ugly. 

In the case of starting your own business based on sauces, salsas, dressings and condiments, then make sure that you’re working with someone who shares your passion for cooking and knows the ins and outs of how to help you go from your kitchen to the marketplace.  I’ve been there before and I’ve worked with people who didn’t really care about my creations.  It was a job/drudgery to them.

I love to help people.  I love cooking.  I love perfecting a process.  I love seeing a finished product.  So, for me, this is what I have a passion for and I believe the money will follow.  So far, so good.  And I’m happy. So, clap along if you feel like that’s what you want to do.  

For a counter argument, check out Rob Asghar’s article in Forbes magazine, five reasons to ignore the advice!

FoodProductLaunch.com specializes in helping people with all the steps required in taking their recipes from the Kitchen to the Marketplace.

TJ Gallivan

© foodproductlaunch.com 2014 All Rights Reserved.  We encourage you to repost this blog in its entirety.  If you choose to use portions of it…give credit where credit is due.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with these sentiments, and one of the things that I'm discovering since I've been trying to build myself as a brand is that there are several more things that make me happy than I first realized!

    ReplyDelete